Transitioning at IU

Students have assisted our office in creating a comprehensive guide to transitioning while at IU, including adding a preferred name in various IU systems (registrar, bursar, etc.). Click here to download the guide.

If you wish to legally change your name and are a resident of Indiana, you will begin the process at Indiana’s online Self-Service Legal Center. Fill out the packet provided on the site, publish your intent to change your name, and then appear before a judge, who will grant the name change, as detailed here.

Once you have changed your name with the state of Indiana (or your state of residence), you will need to change the name on your Social Security card. The steps to change your name on your Social Security card can be found in great detail on the Social Security website.  This can also be done by going to the office of Social Security Administration in your town. The Bloomington office is located at 515 W. Patterson Drive.

You’ll also want to change your name on your driver’s license or state ID. To see the various things you’ll need to make this change if you are an Indiana resident, please check out the BMV’s page on Proving Your Identity. If you are a resident of another state, check with the office that issues driver’s credentials and/or photo ID cards in your state.

If you are an IU student and pay a student activity fee, you are entitled to free legal assistance and representation from Student Legal Services. Their staff would be happy to assist you with this process—and they are conveniently located right next door to the LGBTQ+ Culture Center, at 703 E. 7th St.

Because transitioning can be a tiring process, it’s important to have emotional support. The student group Gender Warriors is for transgender and gender-nonconforming students and can be reached at And if you’d like to speak with our counseling intern, you may confidentially call 812-855-0916 or e-mail